Local Civil War Sites

Local Civil War Sites

 

Barbour County:

                Camp Laurel Hill, east of Belington on the old Parkersburg & Staunton Turnpike.                 Philippi - Site of the First Land Battle of the Civil War (the covered bridge built by Lemuel Chenoweth still stands.

Berkeley County:

Boydville, 601 South Queen Street, Martinsburg, Spared from burning by President Lincoln.

Benjamin Reed Boyd House, 126 East Race Street, Martinsburg. This was the childhood home of Belle Boyd.

 

Braxton County:

Bulltown Historical Area, just off U.S. 19 on the Millstone Run Road near Bulltown on Burnsville Lake. Site of the Battle of Bulltown.

 

Cabell County:

Site of Battle of Barboursville, at the junction of the railroad tracks, Mud River, and U.S. route 60 in Barboursville.

 

Fayette County:

Nicholville, 1.3 miles from the Fayette County Courthouse, is the site where indirect artillery fire was used for the first time in the history of warfare.

 

Grant County:

Fort Mulligan, just west of Petersburg on State Routes 28 & 55 is  perhaps the best-preserved Civil War fortification in the state.

 

Greenbrier County:

Battle of White Sulphur Springs. At the intersection of U.S. 50 and state Route 92, one-half mile east of White Sulphur Springs is the site of a two-day engagement between Federal forces under General W.W. Averell and Confederate forces under Maj. Gen. Sam Jones and Col. George S. Patton.

Grave of Nancy Hart. Off County Route 39/1 is the grave of Nancy Hart, noted Confederate spy.

Battle of Lewisburg. Just south of the Old Stone Church in Lewisburg is the site of the Battle of Lewisburg, May 23, 1862.

Confederate Cemetery. About 1/4 mile up McElhenny Street from the Lewisburg Visitors Center the remains of 95 unknown Confederate soldiers killed in the Battle of Lewisburg are buried.

 

Hampshire County:

Stonewall Jackson’s Headquarters. On State Route 28 just across the street from the entrance to the West Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind in Romney. This was Jackson’s headquarters during his stay in Romney in 1862.

Hardy County:

The Willows. Two miles south of Moorefield off U.S. 220 on the Cold Springs Road is the “Randolph Place” where Confederate guerrilla Major Harry Gilmore was captured in 1865.

The Moorefield Presbyterian Church Main Street was used by both sides as a hospital during the war.

Clifford Hollow, just north of Moorefield on the Trough Road, is the location of the camp of McNeill’s Rangers, from which they began their raid into Cumberland, Maryland, February 21-22, 1865, during which they captured Generals George Crook and Benjamin Kelley.

 

Harrison County:

Lowndes Municipal Park, on Lowndes Hill in Clarksburg contains Federal trenches still visible today.

Stonewall Jackson’s birthplace.  328 West Main Street, Clarksburg, is the site of the small brick house in which Stonewall Jackson was born on January 21, 1824.

 

Jackson County:

Buffington Island. On the Ohio River just north of Ravenswood was the scene on July 19, 1863, of the only naval battle to take place in West Virginia. General John Hunt Morgan’s raid effectively ended when three Northern gunboats rushed upriver to join Northern troops who were fighting Morgan.

 

Jefferson County:

Harpers Ferry.  Now a Federal Park, the Harpers Ferry complex contains John Brown’s Fort and remains of the Federal Arsenal at the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. Harpers Ferry, famous for John Brown’s Raid, was a vital location which was the scene of much fighting during the Civil War. Defensive trenches can still be seen at Bolivar Heights, just to the west of Harpers Ferry and carvings made by soldiers occupying Maryland Heights can be viewed from the rocks overlooking Harpers Ferry from the north.

 

Kanawha County:

Fort Scammon, atop what is now known as Fort Hill on Charleston’s south side, has been somewhat restored.

McFarland House. 1310 Kanawha Boulevard, Charleston, was used as a hospital during the war.

Cedar Grove. The Tompkins House, built in 1844 by William Tompkins. The brother of Tompkins’ wife was the father of General U.S. Grant who reportedly provided Mrs. Tompkins a letter promising immunity for her property.

 

Lewis County:

Jackson’s Mill. On County route 12, three miles north of Weston, is the site of the childhood home of Stonewall Jackson.

 

Marion County:

Job Prickett House. Located off I-79 at Exit 139) five miles north of Fairmont at Pricketts Fort State Park. The house is a now a museum, with authentically garbed interpreters who answer questions about Civil War era farm life.

 

Mason County:

General John McCausland House.  On State Route 35 near Pliny. Built in 1885, this was the home of Gen. John McCausland, most famous for burning Chambersburg, PA, in 1864.

 

Mercer County:

Princeton. The McNutt House at the corner of Honaker Avenue and North Walker Street was set on fire when retreating Confederates burned Princeton on May 1, 1862. Federal troops put out the fire and made the house their headquarters. (Among the Federal forces were two future U.S. Presidents, Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley.)

 

Mineral County:

Nancy Hanks Monument. On County Rout 6/2 south of Antioch is the site of the birth of Nancy Hanks, the mother of Abraham Lincoln. A replica of her birth cabin is nearby.

Keyser. Where the Administration Building of Potomac State College now stands is the site of Fort Fuller, a strong Federal fort built to protect the B&O Railroad. The fort was taken in November 1864 by Confederates under General T. L. Rosser. The Confederates were soon routed by General Benjamin F. Kelley’s Union forces, who remained in the valley to protect the railroad.

 

Monroe County:

Greenville Saltpeter Cave. Off County Route 23/4, 1½ miles northeast of Greenville is the limestone cave which was used for the manufacture of saltpeter, a vital ingredient in the production of gunpowder.

Red Sulphur Springs. On State Route 12 in the western end of the county is the site of a popular pre-war resort that was used during the war as a Confederate hospital. There are several Confederate graves in the vicinity.

Salt Sulphur Springs. On U.S. 219, two miles south of Union is the site of a famous health resort used as a major rest and staging area, mainly for the Confederate Army. There are Confederate graves in the vicinity.

Old Sweet Springs. At the junction of State Routes 3 and 311 is the site of one of America’s oldest mineral water resorts. The site was a rest and staging area for troops during the war. The site is now a home for the aged.

 

Morgan County:

Stonewall Jackson Hill. On U.S. 522, south of the Potomac River Bridge opposite  Hancock, Maryland, is the point from which Jackson shelled Hancock on January 5, 1862.

Nicholas County:

Battle of Cross Lanes. At Kesslers Cross Lanes at the junction of State Route 129 and County Road 9 just north of the Carnifex Ferry Battlefield site is the site of a battle between Colonel E. B. Tyler’s 7th Regiment of Ohio Volunteers and Gen. John B. Floyd’s Confederate force on August 26, 1861.

Carnifex Ferry Battlefield State Park. On County Route 23, just south of State Route 129, one mile east of the Summersville Dam is the site of one of the two largest battles in West Virginia. The Confederate defeat in this battle opened up this section of Western Virginia for an extended period of Federal control.

 

Ohio County:

West Virginia Independence Hall. At 1524 Market Street is the old U.S. Custom House, built in 1859, where the Second Wheeling Convention drew up West Virginia’s Declaration of Independence from Virginia. The building also served as the capitol of the Restored Government of Virginia until that capitol was moved to Alexandria in 1863. The building has been restored and is now operated as a museum by the West Virginia Department of Culture & History.

West Virginia’s First Capitol Building.  At the corner of Eoff and 15th Streets in Wheeling is the building used as the Capitol of West Virginia from June 20, 1863, to April 1, 1870.

 

Pendleton County:

McCoy House. On Main Street in Franklin is the house used as a communications center prior to and during the Battle of McDowell which was fought on May 8, 1862.

 

 

Pocahontas County:

Camp Allegheny. Just off U.S. 250, right on the Virginia border, is the site of the highest winter campground of the war. Confederate troops under General Edward “Old Allegheny” Johnson, held off a Federal attack by General Robert Milroy on December 13, 1861.

Traveller’s Repose. At the Junction of U.S. 250 and State Route 28, at Bartow, is the site of the first overnight stage stop west of the Allegheny Mountains. The house sits below the site of Camp Bartow where trenches and artillery positions can still be identified. Here, at the Battle of the Greenbrier River, on October 3, 1861, the Confederates held off a strong attack by General John J. Reynolds with troops from Cheat Mountain.

Droop Mountain Battlefield State Park. On U.S. 219 three miles south of Hillsboro is the scene of the largest battle in West Virginia, fought on November 6, 1863 between the Federal forces of Gen. William W. Averell, and the Confederate forces under Gen. John Echols. The decisive Federal victory ended serious efforts by the Confederacy to control the new state of West Virginia.

 

 

 

Preston County:

Tray Run Viaduct. Off State Route 72, just north of Rowlesburg on the main line of the B&O Railroad is the site of what was, at the time it was built in 1852, the largest viaduct in the world, carrying the railroad over Tray Run. The Confederate Army made several unsuccessful efforts to destroy the viaduct, the image of which appears on the reverse side of the Great Seal of the State of West Virginia.

 

Putnam County:

Hurricane Bridge Battlefield site. At the junction of U.S. 60 and State Route 34 is the site of a five-hour skirmish on March 28, 1863.

Scary Creek Battlefield site. At the junction of U.S. 35 and County Routes 33 and 44, just opposite Nitro is the site of the Battle of Scary Creek, July 17, 1861, where the Confederates under Gen. Henry Wise won the first southern victory in the Kanawha Valley.

 

Randolph County:

Rich Mountain Battlefield site. Five miles west of Beverly on the old Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike, is the scene of the Battle of Rich Mountain, July 11, 1861.A force of several thousand Confederates under Lt. Col. John Pegram were driven from the mountain by Gen. William Rosecrans, second in command to Gen. George B. McClellan. Although McClellan refused to come to Rosecrans’ aid as soon as the firing was heard atop the mountain (which was the original plan agreed upon by McClellan and Rosecrans) Rosecrans drove the Confederates off the mountain. With the victory gained and the mountaintop secured, McClellan dashed down the mountain to Beverly where he used the telegraph to claim victory in his name and was made a hero throughout the North.

Cheat Mountain Summit. Off U.S. 250 on a dirt road 1½ miles west of Cheat Bridge at an elevation of over 4,000 feet above sea level is the site of the highest fortified camp maintained by the Federal Army during the war. The site was occupied by Federal troops during the fall and winter of 1861-1862.

Historic Beverly. Five miles south of Elkins is the town of Beverly, formerly the County Seat of Randolph County. The town is a treasure trove of Civil War history. Beside the Tygart Fork River is the home of Lemuel Chenowith, the engineer who built the Covered Bridge at Philippi. The town also contains the home of Laura Arnold, the sister of Stonewall Jackson and a Union sympathizer. The Rich Mountain Battlefield Foundation is headquartered in an historic building in Beverly. The Logan house was the site of the first Federal amputation of the war, performed on Captain Leroy Barker Daingerfield by Dr. John Taylor Huff, who had lost all his instruments and used a butcher knife to make the skin flap and a tenon saw to sever the bone.

 

Ritchie County:

General Thomas M. Harris Grave. In the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Harrisville is the grave of Maj. Gen. Thomas M. Harris who served as a member of the commission that tried the conspirators for the assassination of President Lincoln.

Taylor County:

Grafton National Cemetery. 1,200 Federal and Confederate soldiers are buried here, and more than 4,000 total war dead lie buried in three terraces.

Thornsberry Baily Brown Monument. On U.S. 50 just west of the bridge over the Tygart Valley River is a monument at the site of the death of the first Federal soldier killed by enemy action. Brown, who was killed on the night of May 22, 1861, is buried in the National Cemetery in Grafton.

 

Tucker County:

Corrick’s Ford.  On U.S. 219, just west of Parsons is the site of the Battle of Corrick’s Ford where, on July 13, 1861, Brigadier General Robert S. Garnett was the first Confederate general to be killed in the war.

 

 

Note: Much of the above information was taken from Stan B. Cohen’s book, A Pictorial Guide to West Virginia’s Civil War Sites.

  Link   American Civil War Museum of Ohio
  Link   Mason-Dixon Line (Wikipedia)